Monday, June 9, 2008

Summer Reading So Far

I have been busy! I started reading books to add to my literature circles for next school year, as well as some just for fun.

First on the list, and just for fun - Twilight. After doing book sandwiches in the classroom, hearing and seeing so many of my students talk about this series, and with my husband reading the Anne Rice vampire series (I know this doesn't have that much to do with anything, but I felt like I needed a vampire series of my own), I had to see what all of the fuss was about. I LOVE this book and couldn't put it down. The story is a teenage vampire love story. I want to read the others so bad to find out what happens, but promised myself that I couldn't until I was done with the books that are being added to the circles for next year. If you have not read this I would strongly recommend!

One for the list during third quarter - Speak. I picked up this book during my first book order of the year, but while having to read so many new books, as I was teaching a new grade, I didn't get a chance to pick this one off of the shelf until this summer. Speak is about a young girl and her struggle to speak after a traumatic event that happened the summer before her freshman year in high school. So mad at myself for having waited to read this until now. It inspired me to pick up another book by this author, called Twisted. Again, another one of those books that you can get done in a day or two. It is about a kid that has struggled to fit in until his senior year, where even then, he goes through a series of ups and downs, just to be popular. I think that this author does a great job of keeping the reader hooked and writes about topics that young adults are interested in. Not going on the third quarter literature circle list due to some of its content, but I would definitely recommend.

Next, and currently still reading - The Boy Who Dared. This is one that I would like added to my holocaust literature circles. It is about a boy who is a member of the Hitler Youth. It is the day of his execution day and his story is told through a series of flashbacks. Think it will fit in perfect with the bundle that I already have!

Still to come on the reading list for the summer - Weedflower (hoping to get added to the holocaust bundle) Monster (one that I would like to get added for my third quarter "power of bullies/abusive power" literature circle list, and Right Behind You (also one for third quarter!)

No comments: