Thursday, July 29, 2010

Scrub-A-Dub Dub Homemade Sugar Scrub & a Giveaway!

I really think that some of the best gifts are the kind that you can't buy in a store! Something about being homemade and knowing that a little extra love was poured into someone making it just makes it special. You know?

A student of mine this past year made a few of her teachers the most amazing sugar scrub as a Happy New Year present when we came back from Winter Break and let me tell you it was the bomb-diggity, and I feel like I am pretty picky with my scrubs (I am obsessed with Arbonne's, but no longer buy it because this one is so close to how it smells and feels and I could make about 10 of my own to 1 of Arbonne's scrubs! Holla). We loved it so much that we begged for the recipe (we really just wanted her to make us some more) for the scrub and her mom sent it to us over the summer! As soon as I saw it in my email box, off to Sprouts and JoAnn's I went to shop for the goods to get started!

We are getting ready to start school next week {where did my summer go?} and I thought this would make a great gift for my 8A team, a little sugar scrub to help them relax and make their skin feel good on those extra stressful days! I made an extra one for my shower and one for Kyan's Kindergarten teacher {Mrs. Jones!} and two extra to giveaway!!!

But just in case you don't win the giveaway, here is how to make the best sugar scrub in town {it is easy peeeeeeeeeezy lemon squeeeeeezy}:
You will need:
8 oz plastic container* or glass jar
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
1/2 Cup Oil (Sunflower, Almond, Canola...)
2 Tsp Vitamin E
1/4 Tsp Grapefuit Seed Extract (you can choose this Antioxidants/Perservatives or you can use 7 drops Rosemary Oleoresin Extract, I found the Grapefruit Seed Extract first!)
40 Drops Essential Oil (I used Sweet Orange)

*Plastic container needs to be thick, like PET plastic. The LOCK-UPS that I found worked perfect and I purchased them from JoAnn's. I am not sure how long the scrub would last if you used a cheaper container?! Just make sure you don't wash those LOCK-UPS, as they shrink to almost half their size!

Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix!

Everything fits perfectly into an 8oz container, once you mix it, pour it in and seal!
Scrubs lasts for about 3 to 4 months!

I think that this is probably going to become a signature gift of mine! Do you guys have those? I do (I always give the same gift for bridal shower and baby shower)! I made 10 of these in less than an hour and really they aren't inexpensive! I plan on making them for just about any occasion, as you can change up how they smell just by switching out the essential oil! Already thinking about the holidays and how some sort of peppermint vanilla would smell so nice! You can switch the pretty labels at the top of the jar too! I needed something quick for these and they were a stretch for giving them to the girls at work, but I said that I was "tickled pink" to be spending another year in 8th grade with such a wonderful team! They were originally made for birth announcements for my daughters cards that I never sent out (shame on me, I know...but I have put them to great use in other ways)!

Now, for the giveaway...
How to win:
Just leave a comment letting me know WHY you need this scrub? How is it going to help you relax? OR Tell me what you do to relax.

Just so you know, you don't have to have a blog to leave a comment! If you aren't a blogger, just enter a comment and then where it says "comment as" scroll down near the bottom and click on anonymous. However, if you do that, make sure to leave your e-mail address in the comment so that I can contact you if you win!
{hint, hint, like all the ladies at my mama's work!}

Want additional chances to win?
Leave a comment for each one that you choose to do:

1. Follow this blog, if you already are {thank you, big hugs}, just say so!
2. Head on over to Rosie J. Photography and become a follower. Again, if you already are, let me know that too!
3. Blog about this giveaway, come back and let me know you did!

School officially starts for teachers on August 4th, so I say giveaway ends the night before, August 3rd! I will announce the winners {remember, I have two to give away} on the 4th and get them in the mail to you before the students official start up on the 9th!

Good luck! Can't wait to hear your comments about relaxing!

GIVEAWAY CLOSED - WINNER ANNOUNCED SOON!







Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up      party!



The Girl Creative



CreativeShareWednesdays

BWS tips button

giveaways

Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden




49 comments:

Mande said...

Yummy! I am a sugar scrub fanatic! My fave is by Trish McEvoy. I received a jar for Christmas and use the tiniest bit- so darn expensive. Cannot wait to try this one. Also, would love to win one!! xo

How I relax: Lock myself in the bathroom late at night when all are asleep and soak in the tub....very rarely get to do this. Pedicures are my guilty pleasure. (Have not had one this year). :(

Mande said...

Blog follower!!

Mande said...

Rosie J photography blog follower!

Chantele Cross-Jones said...

Wow that stuff looks great. I need a body scrub as I get really hard skin on my feet due to working in a pub! Im a follower of your blog!

Daisy Dayz Home

Val said...

Genius!!! I love this idea.

Alisha said...

What a great idea and wonderful giveaway :)
I take a very hot bubble bath every night using my favorite lavender bubble bath from Lush.
I am with Mande, love pedicure but have not made much time for them since having Jude. I have to DIY :)

I can hardly believe school is starting already, but I will say I am excited because it means fall is around the corner :)

Alisha said...

I am a blog follower :)

Alisha said...

Follower of Rosie J. :)

Jami said...

This is an awesome gift idea! I hope you'll stop by my PRETTY PACKAGES PARTY next week and share these or another super creative wrapped gift idea! Be sure to grab a button for a little reminder!
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com
smiles!

ps. I'm your newest follower!!

Amelia said...

OK, I'll definitely be giving these as xmas gifts. What a great idea! I'm a new follower!
http://creativechicaldacs.blogspot.com/

Amelia said...

Love this idea, and new follower!

http://creativechicaldacs.blogspot.com/

Garrett Family said...

Very cool Jenni!

Bec said...

Such an easy present!

Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

What an amazing idea! I'd never used a sugar scrub until one of my students gave me one...now I'm hooked!

Four to Score said...

pick me! pick me!

i wanna try it!

why do i deserve it? because i don't have a superman hubby at home like you do that makes it possible to have the free time to make something that wonderful!

Four to Score said...

blog follower ;-)

MamaMonki said...

I'm a teacher and we go back in less than two weeks - I definitely need some stress relief from a sugar scrub.

Were the ingredients hard to find? I've not seen that sugar before. I'm thinking this would be a fun science project for a terrific gift for the kids mom's on Mother's Day.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I've never tried to make my own scrub. So cool!

Amy said...

I need this scrub because I am a stressed out mommy of two trying squeeze every second out of the day to accomplish all that I need to accomplish. That scrub would magically wash all my stress away! ha. :)

Seriously, I love it!! too cool! I'm going to steal it for Christmas gifts, thanks so much for the idea!

Will blog about it tomorrow. xoxo

Estee said...

The best way to relax is to snuggle with hubby. But when he's not around I cook or knit or just stare at the wall...

Estee said...

I follow your blog.

Missi said...

Signed up to be a follower of your blog.

I work at a school also (cafeteria cashier) & we start back Aug 19. I'm intrested in trying out the scrub & possibly making some for the office ladies & my co-workers in the kitchen for Christmas.

Missi said...

Signed up to be a follower of the Rosie J. Photography blog.

Missi said...

Blogged about your contest on my blog www.sandlsmom.blogspot.com

Dear Lillie said...

Oh I would love some of this! I am in major need of a little relaxation! All of these late nights working while everyone else is in bed are getting to me!

Dear Lillie said...

follower!

sandy moss said...

Ok, this is a fabulous idea and recipe! I will definitely be using this and have the cutest stamp set to decorate the containers for holidays.
Thanks for the chance to win but having the recipe is plenty for me! SO excited to have found your blog!

Unknown said...

This is so fab. SO FAB! love the labels too!

I need this because I have never had HOMEMADE scrub. I love to be girly and I work hard crafting wink wink... so my hands need to be pampered! HA!

Unknown said...

i FOLLOW your sweet blog with those sweet faces at the top of your blog!

Ashlee Marie said...

What a fun project and gift! I'd love it if you'd stop by my Topsy Turvy Tuesday Link party and add this recipe for bathroom scrub!

Jami said...

Thanks for stopping by and sharing these at my PRETTY PACKAGES PARTY! They are the best!
smiles!

Nesty Girl said...

This sounds lovely, I will have to make some. I love sugar scrubs; I find that salt scrubs just aren't as nice!

I'm visiting from Just Something I Whipped Up. Have a great day!

Becky said...

Can you believe I hoped to head to Wally World tomorrow on my day off to get some small jars and attempt to make a scrub?

To relax I take my dog and go to our small cabin in the woods.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great idea and sharing the recipe; I'll be sharing this with K-1 team at school. What a nice way to begin the new school year.

Marsha

mommy2luke2008 said...

This would be so great to win!!! I need this for my knees and elbows, they are so dry it is unbelievable!

I relax by playing with my son. It always makes my day to hear him laugh!

maryw1981 at yahoo dot com

mommy2luke2008 said...

I'm following your blog!
maryw1981 at yahoo dot com

mommy2luke2008 said...

I'm following Rosie J. Photography blog! Love your work, by the way!!!
maryw1981 at yahoo dot com

Rosie said...

The scrub looks awesome! I love to relax by giving my self a pedicure!

Amy said...

I follow Rosie J!

My goodness where has the time gone? I'm going to try to blog about it now. :( sorry!

Amy said...

Ok, blogged about it and fb'd it! :) xoxo

Sarah Root said...

Okay, I'm entering, because it looks so good & I'm too lazy to make it myself- ha!
Seriously, your craftiness is impressive :) And I won't even go into why I need this, you know! ;)

even-star said...

You mean I am not supposed to eat this? Sometimes I make like a sauce or something that is sooo good I will want to BATHE in it. This is sort of the opposite. A body scrub sooo good I want to eat it! Home made gifts are the best. It is the gift of someone's time and consideration more than the item itself. But I also like gifts you can consume. They don't take up any closet space!

Unknown said...

lovely! I've always wanted to try my own sugar scrub. Now I can! I love your packaging too. :)

Danae said...

Hey Jenni, I'm a new follower!
-Danae/featherandbranch.blogspot.com

Danae said...

Hi there,

I'm a new follower!

Danae/featherandbranch.blogspot.com

Danae said...

OOO....I love sugar scrub and I love to make it as well. I like to get the pretty glass jars from the container store (I believe they are by Ball) and wrap ribbons around them and give them as gifts. Such a fun, easy and beautiful thing to do. I definitely want to try yours though, it looks great and will make my feet feel amazing I'm sure. :)
Thanks!!

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

This is really excellent. Soooo, do add your tutorial here and our readers can love your craft project also: http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-9/

Every Wednesday we open a new party, btw, so your future diy/craft tutorials are also more than welcome!

Jill said...

Mmmmm, those look scrumptous and you are right they make adorable gifts! I'm sad I missed the giveaway I could use some relaxation :) but couldn't we all?!

Lauren {whimsy lane} said...

I forgot to tell you, I use the scrub you made me all the time. I add a little to my feet when I pumace them and it makes them so much softer! The sugar helps exfoliate and the oils soften the heel. I love that stuff.