The wall space above my bed has been missing something for over two years, but I have never been able to put my finger on what that something is. I knew I wanted to make a sign of some sort that was on a large scale {our master bedroom is quite large}, but had no clue how to pull it off. The hubs and I always say, "calmer than you are" to each other so I really thought that I would do something along those lines. However, when I saw a picture on Junk in the Trunk's blog, featuring items for sale at a recent sale they held, I had full intentions of purchasing their sign or going to see it in person to see how I could create my own!
When my mother-in-law got to the sale, I immediately spied the sign and then looked at the price. It was worth every penny, but I needed something a little bigger and the bigger I had to go the more moo-lah I was going to have to fork over. So I passed on their sign, but it gave me a really good idea for how to make my own. As we waited in the forever long line at the sale, I spied the most beautiful, old, chippy door I have ever seen. But it was inside the barn, so I figured it must be sold already. I didn't want to make assumptions on something so beautiful, so with fingers crossed, I found out that the door had not sold and it became mine, as it was the perfect colors and size to hang above our bed!
Pretty huh?
With a can of paint from the local ReStore {for only $5}, a pencil and two different types of brushes, I went to work. I figured if I messed up, I had one more shot to correct it on the other side! Lucky for me, it worked the first time around! I very lightly sketched out the word love {kept it simple and thought the original quote would be too much for the door}. I then began tracing it with the yellow paint. It is far from perfect, but matches the look of the old door perfectly!
I thought about distressing the yellow, but when I started to, it took off even more paint from the door, so I stopped. It was chippy enough.
No matter how much I loved it, it sat for about another three weeks. You see, this sucker is big, old, and heavy {6 and 1/2 feet x 2 and 1/2 feet of solid wood}! I knew it would require much more than a nail to hang it up and it would depend on when the hubs got tired of my whining to do it for me!
He must have been sick of it, because it went up this weekend and WOW is all I can say! I knew I loved it just sitting in the garage waiting to be hung but it looked so much better actually hung on the wall, where it felt like it always belonged!
I won't even begin to tell you how he hung it, because I have no clue. He did tease me several times though by saying that a true DIYer could hang this on her own. Seriously?! Thanks babe, I love you too. Just hang the door!
Once it was up, I didn't want to leave the room. I just stared at it {and took pictures} from about every angle!
No matter where I stood in the room, the door looked amazing!
It was just what the room needed and is my favorite piece of artwork in the house! Especially when it comes in at under $50!
And just because I like a little before and after...
So...what do you think? Love it too?!
Have you ever used a door as decor in your own home?
Linking up with my favorite party people, including Crystal B.'s....Inspired By {a new party, you should head over}!










49 comments:
Love it!! :) I haven't used an old door, but I am working on a project with one. I am a new follower.
OMG, I saw this on my reader this morning and just about died! I LOVE it!! I have the crate love sign on my list of to do projects but this is way better!!! I can't get over how great it looks hanging up in your room!! This makes me more excited to go to the big estate sale:) Great job!!
This looks wonderful! With your furniture and colorful bedding the touch of yellow is perfect. Well done you clever woman.
I love this! I made my first subway sign this weekend and now I am inspired to try something new with something old!
lOVE it! You may just have given me the inspiration to FINALLY do something with my master bedroom!!!
Just maybe!
Looks great! Nice job.
I think the door looks fabulous...especially with the graphic :love:. I have been thinking about making a headboard with an old door we've acquired. Thanks for sharing!
It looks awesome!! I love that you just left the original chippy paint - it looks perfect! It really goes well with your bedding! I hung an old door above my couch! It's such a fun and cheap way to decorate a large wall space! Love yours!!
Well you know I love it!!!!!!! obsessed actually and when we buy a house i think some kind of door decor will be a must. soooooooooooo beautiful. Gotta love when the hubby comes through! lol
It's beautiful and SO YOU/your style. I'm a big fan of personal art, especially in your home- it's very inspiring and something to be proud of every time you see it. Michael wants to take down his oil painting in our living room, but I'm still too proud of his work to part with it.
You did an amazing job, frien!
xoxo
Candis
beautiful!! I "LOVE" this! :) What a simple & great idea!!! Thanks for sharing! :)
Wow! loving this for sure!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this Jenni.....My kind of Decor!! If I ever spot an old door I am sooooooo copying this idea!!! Just Adore it....
I love this! The yellow paint makes it... so cool!
Have you linked up with Creative Me Monday? It's open all week long and I'd love to have you! The link is:
http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/10/creative-me-monday_16.html?utm_source=BP_recent
Hope to see you there!
I love it. The door looks awesome and I love the lettering on it. Great job.
i love, love, love it!
thanks for the nice comment on my wedding pics by the way! and we totally weren't engaged. we just decided to elope on a whim ;-)
i'm going to making some wreaths for xmas gifts this year for family. i'd love to see what's on your door for inspiration....
My home is a mix of old and new. I Love the old door in my kitchen and the tall old white shutters in my family room:) I love what you did with your door. Stay Fashionable!
Love, Candy
www.candysclothescloset.blogspot.com
Love this! I love the cursive "love" writing! Great job :)
Oh MY GOODNESS I am totally and completely in LOVE with your door! I have seen a few versions of this yellow love before but I have to say that without a doubt I love yours the best! Yayyyy I am SO happy you linked up to my party because I am in love with this!!!! :o) New follower for sure!
Jaime from crafty scrappy happy
Way Love! There is this "recycled wood" place in Lincoln. Its really a glorified junk yard. BUT we found some old barn wood there last weekend and made a frame for a mirror. There were lots of doors! I could do this!
i do adore
this oldish newish door
that you found for you home
my friend is planning to use
old doors like this
to decorate with at her
wedding next june
so i will be sure to
show her this post
thanks for linking up to fridays unfolded!
alison
LOVE it! Perfectly chippy and simply stated...I'm jealous :) Laurel@chippingwithcharm
That looks wonderful! I wish I had the vision and creativity to think of something like this!
Best wishes,
Natasha.
I love how that turned out! You have a great blog...I'm your newest follower! I'd love for you to stop by and check out my new blog loveofhomes.blogspot.com & follow along!
This is awesome! I am so jealous of everyone being able to find awesome doors and windows to use for decoration - I never seem to get that lucky.
(and about the husband and the DIY comments - I have been working HARD in my daughters room and he had 1 little idea and keeps telling people he's more crafty than I am....MEN! :)
Your door/art is beautiful!
~Jenn
http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com
Love it! It is perfect. Why can't I find cool old pieces like that? lol.
Jessica
Saw this over at Serenity Now & I LOVE it! I LOVE DOORS! You did a great job & I love the distressing :)
That is beautiful! The color is perfect with your bedding. I am loving the grey and yellow combo lately. Stopping by from TT&J.
over from ttj. love this!!
It's perfect!! Yep, I'm gonna have to hunt for an old door now! Love this!
Wow, that is beautiful! I couldn't stop looking at the pictures while I read your post, so I can understand you checking it out from every angle, haha! The yellow "love" was the perfect addition!
Absolutely LOVE the door decor!! Looks perfect above your bed! So glad I found this linked to Frugalicious Friday on Finding Fabulous for less. Following you now :)
Please visit my blog as well. everydaygiggles.wordpress.com
What a sweet idea..I love it :)) I found ya over at craftomaniac linky party and had to stop in. I'm Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com ..Officially following ya with smiles..Great blog..Hope you can stop in and visit sometime..Ty :))
Love the finish.
So cute!!! Were you inspired by that headboard on Pinterest? I have it on one of my boards. I'm dying to make it for Claire's room.
LOVE old doors.
That was a great find! I love the weathered door and you did a great job making it special for your room. I love your quilt too by the way!
Visiting from SNS.
I really love the door idea- like to try it myself. I also love the quilt you have. Did you make it? If so, what material did you use? If purchased, where did you get it? We need a new one desparately and that is the nicest one I've seen. Thanks for the info?
@ golden girls and possibly anyone else that is curios about the quilt:
i had been searching for the perfect quilt for our bedroom that was gray/yellow/white for well over a year, i actually spotted the one shown in target right away, but never made a commitment to it and continued to search. after months and months {might have even been a year} and once it went on clearance i purchased it! best decision i could have made! completely brightened up the room! not sure if they sell it anymore? maybe you could find on ebay? good luck!
I think the door speaks for itself and for me: love!
I love this! I think I may just use this idea in my own Master Bedroom!
Love the blog!
This is so lovely!! I Love old doors too!! Stopping by from Funky Junks- I host a decorating party at my blog on the weekends if you would like to come share sometime! :)
Wow You're very creative. I did not expect that you put the old door in your bedroom! :)
condominium makati
Where is your bed from? I love it!
That is gorgeous! I have been looking for an old door or window pane to do a project with. I will be using parts of your project for ideas. I just love it. BTW, exactly what did it take to hang this as far as hardware? Are you ever afraid that it may fall in the middle of the night?!! Kidding! I do love it though and I will be watching your blog for more ideas.
I've never made a comment on things I've seen on the Net but I need to tell you that this is Great! Love it! Enjoy~
Just saw this post on Pinterest. I LOVE your bedding and have been looking for gray and yellow. where did you find that one?!
Love this! How did you end up hanging it?
I do love it, but am I the only one who thought it was "lone".
Post a Comment