Monday, June 28, 2010

Notebook Makeover!

Thank you to the middle school that I teach at for such a lovely notebook, with such good bones, for teacher appreciation week months ago, so that I could make it over! Turned out to be one of the prettiest things I carry in my purse! Even the pen got a makeover!


Front and Inside Cover
To create this look is very simple.
Take any notebook that is plain looking and pick out your favorite scrapbook paper.
Use Mod Podge and smear it all over the front cover of your notebook.
Take the scrapbook paper and place on cover, smoothing out any bubbles. You will want left over paper hanging off of the edges so that you can wrap around the back side (kind of like you wrap a present) and glue down folded part on the back.
Then, take another piece of cut notebook paper, just the size of the inside cover and glue it on top of the folded pieces that is already glued down, again smooth down.
You can add whatever you want to both the inside and outside overs to make it pop that much more! I added rosettes (click here for a how-to) to the front and a picture of my kiddos with a glitter frame around it to the inside cover (think that is my favorite part, when I am busy working on the pageant, I just flip to the front and I get to see their cute little faces)!


Back of Notebook
Repeat the same process for the back and back inside covers of your notebook!
Mine was a little tricky because I was dealing with those tacks that were holding down the string that binds the notebook together. I thought that if I attempted to take them off and put them back on, I would have ruined it forever, so I worked around it! It was a challenge, but I love how it turned out!


Why give this notebook a makeover?
Why funny you should ask (ok, maybe you didn't ask, but I am going to tell you anyway)!
I was running out the door the other day to meet with Cyndee and I knew that I was going to need paper. NOTHING was around, but that thing. I threw it in the pantry when I first got it and forgot about it. It was the first thing I saw, so I grabbed it, thinking in the back of my mind - how embarrassing this thing is. Good thing she works at the same school as I do (she even made a joke about it when she saw it) and the paper/paper combo did come in handy! Whew! When I was taking notes, I was thinking about scrapbook paper and Mod Podge and how just a few little things could make this look notebook look so much better. Guess I am weird for not wanting to write on something BLAH looking.

My handy-dandy notebook is being used for all things relating to the Queen of Hope/Worldwide International Pageant that I was hired to be the official photographer for. To read more, head over to Rosie J. Photography! I have busted out the notebook more times than I usually write things down this past week and I am so excited for the opportunity that I have been given to work these ladies coming up over these next few weeks! I feel this really strong connection to Brion, and even though it makes me miss him and think about him constantly with each event that they add to the schedule, it is a good kind of miss you and I feel even closer to him than ever.






giveaways

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

7 comments:

Candis said...

I love that 'lil book (I serrrriously need one.) I know my list is LONG, but I really LOVE those flowers. Reminder for you, Frien: My Birthday is in January, and I love those flowers for journals or tank tops! : )

Did you go see Brion after you left last night? I was hoping you did, since that opportunity doesn't come by often.
And.....thanks a LOT for the warning (or LACK there of) on the tears!? Mannn, you're supposed to help a pregnant 'gal out!? haaa
I joke. You are cute, and I love that you're really getting into this project.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

How about you just sell them? HA!

Garrett Family said...

Very cute Jenni. You are getting more creative every day.
Just an idea, I saw these (and always do) really cute journal's at target for $1. Maybe you can go buy a bunch, add your flare, and sell them :). I would buy one!!

Garrett Family said...

PS I am glad you are getting a "good" kind of miss you and a strong connection to Brion through this (photography). I have no doubts that he is smiling down on you and is so proud of you!!!

Heather said...

How much fun! I love this idea. Seems pretty simple too. I need to get crafting, I foresee Modge Podge in my near future.
Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

Ooh - I love your little notebook! Such a creative idea -- and SO cute! And seriously - your little munchkins are too adorable!

Thanks so much for stopping by!! :)

jOni lAnE said...

great idea for teacher gift too! thank you!
smiles,
j